I Don't Want to Miss a Thing
3/16/2006 02:25:00 AM | Author: Simply Jen

This song has been on my mind for the past few days. This is not my favorite song by Aerosmith, but I do love it. It also has a very special place in my heart and always will. It's so odd how much music is linked to our lives. I didn't realize it then, but this was the song that was playing the second I fell in love with my husband.

It was October of 1998 and we were at the Waffle House. It was probably really late, after midnight I'm guessing because it was totally dead. I was working and my husband and two of his friends had come by to visit me. I loved it when someone was there when we were dead because with only two people working, it could get very boring. Anyway, the friends that came were Glen and Sonia. Both of them knew that my husband and I liked each other and we had gone out on one date by this point, but we were dragging our feet on the whole dating thing. Glen got it in his head to give us a little push, which really doesn't surprise me at all. He's just like that.
If you've ever been to a waffle house, then you know that they all have jukeboxes. Well he went and put some money in and asked me to dance. We were dead and I was bored so I said why not. The song by Aerosmith started playing and he and I started dancing. Sonia asked my husband to dance as well. Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure she wasn't in on it as well. After only a few seconds of dancing, Glen grinned at me and somehow passed me off to my husband. My husband was grinning like a fool and I was stunned. He pulled me close and we danced to the song. All I could think was "he's too close. I can't believe I'm dancing with him. Oh God, I can't breathe." and other neurotic thoughts like that. Then it hit me that something was different and I knew nothing would ever be the same. At the time I didn't equate the thoughts or feelings with love. I had never been in love like this before. It honestly was only a few months ago that I could look back and say "that was it, that's the moment." The song ended and honestly I couldn't get away from him fast enough. I was shell shocked. I ran away with the excuse of having dishes to do. Glen and Sonia laughed at me, I honestly couldn't tell you what my husband did. I don't remember.
It was only a week or two later that we had a party at my house and he told me he cared about me deeply and it scared him. A few days later we shared our first kiss, not only our first together, but the first ever for either of us. Lame maybe, but I could not imagine a more wonderful experience for my first. No it wasn't a romantic setting. No there was nothing overly special about the timing. We had been talking and had stopped for some reason. We were just looking at each other and it just happened. It was soft and sweet and absolutely perfect. A month later we were engaged. Six months later we were married. I'm proud to say that seven years later I still am very much in love with him. It has been something we had to work at and we had our very rough moments, but we are here and stronger than ever.
This song is posted here to pay homage to that moment that will live on in my heart forever. I hope you enjoy it. I know I have been extremely sentimental lately but, with my husband gone, my memories are what comfort me in the loneliness of the night. I love sharing them with my friends and hope that they enjoy reading them as much as I do. I've been wondering if all of my mushiness has run everyone off as they hardly ever comment anymore but, even if no one reads this, I will still keep posting my thoughts as I find peace in writing them.

I miss you baby. I can't wait until we are in each other's arms again. I'm counting the days. Until then, know you are in my heart and in my dreams. When I sit here reading these lyrics after all these years, I realize how truly perfect they were for that very moment when I fell.

Don't Want to Miss a Thing
Aerosmith

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping
While you're far away and dreaming
I could spend my life in this sweet surrender
I could stay lost in this moment forever
Every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

Lying close to you feeling your heart beating
And I'm wondering what you're dreaming
Wondering if it's me you're seeing
Then I kiss your eyes and thank God we're together
And I just wanna stay with you
In this moment forever, forever and ever

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

I don't wanna miss one smile
I don't wanna miss one kiss
Well, I just wanna be with you
Right here with you, just like this
I just wanna hold you close
Feel your heart so close to mine
And stay here in this moment
For all the rest of time

Don't wanna close my eyes
Don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
Cause I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

Don't wanna close my eyes
Don't wanna fall asleep, yeah
I don't wanna miss a thing


|
This entry was posted on 3/16/2006 02:25:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: