I feel the earth move
10/16/2006 08:32:00 PM | Author: Simply Jen
Ok Ok...cheesy line, but what'd you expect. I mean most of this entry is going to be about the earthquake yesterday.

At shortly after 7 am I wake to my bed shaking like crazy. The huge picture I have on the wall over my bed was banging against the wall loudly and in my sleepy haze, I was confused and thinking I was dreaming. My first thought was a tornado. That may sound silly, but I grew up in the south part of Louisiana where those were so frequent I got to where I slept through them. Growing up in trailers, they shake with tornado winds. I realized it wasn't raining hard enough and the wind wasn't really shaking. I freaked. I have to admit I was too scared to even have the common sense to get out of the bed while this huge heavy picture that is lined with a mirror is banging so hard I was sure it was going to fall. I just froze. It only lasted a few minutes, but at the time it felt like forever. The house stopped shaking, but I didn't for another hour.
Since I ruled out a tornado, I had to come up with some explanation. I seriously thought I had imagined it and was going insane. Laugh if you will, but I had never imagined ever being in an earthquake so I was really thinking I was going nuts. My husband was messaging me and I ignored it for a moment to call my sister. Her boyfriend answered and I told him "I know this sounds crazy, but I think we just had an earthquake." He laughed and said they felt it too. Asked if we were ok and said they were going back to bed. Me, I couldn't possibly have gone to sleep. My son, however, slept like a log through the entire thing.
About 20 minutes after the quake the lights went out. I'm not sure when it was, but not too long after the first one, we felt the first aftershock. It was really hard to feel here. I'm just glad we aren't on the big island. Man...that would have been extremely terrifying. We were without power until that evening but we managed to have a decent day. The one thing I don't understand is all the people filling up their cars with gas. Where are they going to go???? It just didn't make sense to me. We're on an island in the middle of the Pacific people. Drive all you want, you aren't going to get away from the problem. I could have understood filling up containers for gas powered generators or things of that nature but cars I don't get. It was so bad some places are out of gas today.
All in all it was an interesting day. I hope to not have to do that anytime soon and I'm glad there were no serious injuries, even on the big island. From what I've heard, the most serious was a broken arm. It could have been much worse. It could have generated a tsunami.
So now I've been through tornadoes, hurricanes, and an earthquake. I wonder what's next!
|
This entry was posted on 10/16/2006 08:32:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: