Patriotism starts early
8/14/2006 04:51:00 PM | Author: Simply Jen
This morning I witnessed something that made me smile and feel so proud of the school my son is going to. We once again arrived just before the tardy bell and I am so glad we did because if we hadn't I wouldn't have seen it. My son's school plays Reveille every morning as they raise the flag and then they say the pledge. The teachers teach the kids to stand with their hands over thier heart and be respectful as they place the flag. No this is not a DoD school. This is a Hawaii state public school. They just have THAT much respect for the military.
So back to the story. I was walking back to the car when they started Reveille and out of habit I stopped and faced the flag with my hand over my heart until they were done. I almost cried at the pride I felt at what I saw. The kids that do the crossing guard duty stand by the flag until it is raised and I saw three boys saluting the flag. Now I know that's not protocol, but it says a lot about the values instilled in these kids. I had no problem saying the pledge as a child, but didn't feel the pride that these kids were displaying. I am so glad that my son is going to a school that is teaching him this pride. I'll be honest. It wasn't until my husband was in the military that I developed a strong sense of pride. I am so glad my son will get this so early on.
|
This entry was posted on 8/14/2006 04:51:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On 1:33 AM, August 15, 2006 , Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how "different" some things hit you once you now?

I have been a military wife for a long time, and I still get a weird feeling when I see a group of soldiers in formation, "barking" back at the 1SG, or when I am having my morning coffee and hear them running behind the housing area singing cadences.

Bugle calls.... yep, they hit me *right here* too.

I'm with you in that I am glad that my son is being brought up with the sense of tradition and a real personal form of patriotism. He has so much more of a sense of what it means to serve your country and what freedom really is worth then I ever had before I married a soldier.