Weather Insanity
2/11/2009 08:46:00 AM | Author: Simply Jen
When I was preparing for the move to Kansas, I was told over and over that I wasn't going to be able to handle the winters here. Everyone said that there was no way, being a southwest Louisiana girl and coming from a 3 year stint in Hawaii, that I would adjust sufficiently to the freezing winters here. To all of you doubters I say, "ha ha ha, I did it." Real mature, I know.
That being said, this is nowhere the winter I anticipated. At first it was worse than I expected because of the wind. Oh the wind. It can cut through you here like nothing I've ever experienced. It's every bit as strong as the trade winds in Hawaii but usually teamed with bitter cold or at least some dirt flying at you. I adjusted though. When the temps were hitting single digits, it was a whole new level of cold. I adjusted. It was cold but no where near "the coldest winter ever" that everyone was touting it would be.
It's the beginning of February and here I am expecting even more cold weather and what do I get instead? Temperatures in the 50's and rising. In the past two weeks we've managed more than one day that hit extremely close, if not on, the 70 degree mark. What??? This is winter in Kansas. I do remember leaving Hawaii and last time I checked there were no gorgeous beaches around.
Yesterday was one of those days. Gorgeous and warm. So warm that, when I went to bed, I turned the a/c on to cool off the house a little bit. Normally I would open the windows but it was supposed to rain. Imagine my shock to wake up this morning and look out the window only to be greeted by big fat wet snowflakes. Yup, I said snowflakes. The weather for the rest of the day? Sun is supposed to come out and it will supposedly be in the low 50's.
It may not be the winter I expected but it sure is different than anything I've ever known. Insanity. That's what it is.
|
This entry was posted on 2/11/2009 08:46:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: