The Retreat
1/22/2009 07:19:00 PM | Author: Simply Jen
I guess I should take a few minutes and write about last weekend. It definitely wasn't the weekend of relaxation I was thinking I would have. Honestly, I was exhausted by Sunday afternoon. It was a good kind of exhausted though. I felt accomplished and I had a lot of fun. Exhaustion probably wouldn't have been a problem, but I didn't sleep well during the weekend.
When we left our house on Friday morning, there was a little snow on the ground but it wasn't much and it wasn't snowing any longer. By the time we got 2/3 of the way to where we were going, it was snowing lightly and the roads had snow on them. The interstate was clear but the side roads were very snowy. We made it to the hotel and got inside only to realize we had parked in a driveway area. It was hard to tell because the parking lot wasn't cleared and snow was covering everything. My husband went out and moved the car. When he was getting out, his keys fell out of his pocket and landed on the seat without him noticing. You can guess what happened next. Thankfully we were able to get a locksmith to come out and get them out but it was one of those things we could have done without.
I had originally volunteered to help with sign in and then I was going to take the day and relax. I brought a book with me to read but never got around to it. I ended up making sure that everyone had a room and by the end of the day I had been the go to person for answering questions on several different ends. That is normally what my husband would do for the weekend but he was busy making sure other things were taken care of and I was more than happy to help. I really had a good time even though it could be perceived as work. My husband is fond of saying "Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life." I get that now.
That evening we relaxed. The hubby took the kid to the pool for an hour while I watched some tv. My only complaint about our hotel room for the weekend was that the room was too hot. They checked it out the second day but didn't really fix anything.
The second day was less crazy. I ended up spending most of the day in the classes. I really recommend this program to anyone who has the opportunity to go. It is put on by the Strong Bonds people but your unit's chaplain is the one who executes the material and decides what to teach out of it. It is not a preachy thing. If you go to one and it is, that is on your chaplain and not the program. I've seen several different chaplains do this material and have yet to see it as preachy. I will say that our current chaplain is hilarious and a little less censored than the other ones I have seen. That evening was more of the same relaxing.
Sunday morning was just us having a devotional time and then going over things that we thought could have gone better before checking out.
The hotel offered a very much decreased rate if people wanted to stay another night so we decided to do it. My son hadn't gotten as much pool time as he thought he would so this would give us a chance to focus on him. We spent some time in the pool and my husband took him to play pool and some video games at the arcade they had. I finally was able to relax. They had switched us to a different room because I was tired of dealing with the heat problem and the new room was much better. Later Sunday night we went to a restaurant we hadn't been to since leaving Hawaii and enjoyed our dinner.

Overall everything was great and the best part was it was free. We didn't pay for any of the meals. Sure, I could ask for a few better things but we didn't have to pay for it so I'm not complaining. I do think the hotel should have changed our room that first night and I think if we had complained they would have. I was just too tired to deal with it at that point and had spent so much time bugging them for everyone else that I just wanted to do what was easiest. We learned a lot on how to make it all better next time and I'm looking forward to it. We go again at the beginning of March. I'm excited to get to work again.

One good thing that came out of it all was that I figured out that I really think I would enjoy a job as an event planner. I'm going to look into the possibility of doing some school for it while my husband is deployed next time.
|
This entry was posted on 1/22/2009 07:19:00 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: