Getting ready for the Holidays
11/20/2005 12:47:00 AM | Author: Simply Jen
Today I spent most of the day getting ready for the holidays. My hubby took my son to see the movie Chicken Little and I was left at our nearest Walmart to kill the hour finishing my important Christmas Shopping. I had already bought 80% of my presents, so all I had left was a few small things and essentials like wrapping paper. That doesn't sound too bad...right? Well that is what I was thinking at least. I breezed through the first part of my shopping and was down to the last item on my list. Wrapping Paper. I went to the Christmas section in the Garden Center...you know that never made sense to me, but here it does...well about as much as Christmas in the tropics does. Anyway, I forced some Christmas spirit into myself and walked down the aisles smiling at the snowmen and looking for wrapping paper. I found a small box with about 100 rolls of unatractive wrapping paper and figured there had to be more so I moved on. There was no more! Now I am used to Walmarts that have a wall of wrapping paper (no exageration here) so for me to find only this one box was very sickening. Unwilling to pay 5 dollars for a small roll of ugly paper, I decided to just leave. I was able to get some cute paper at the px and happily paid a little more than I normally would.
Now I know you are wondering what the big deal is as it is just wrapping paper, but you have to understand that this is what I have found to be typical of this walmart. Now if you want a movie or toy then you will have no trouble finding them and that is great, but it is virtually impossible to find anything else. It is so unlike any other Walmart I have ever been in. Since there are only two on the island, it is always extremely busy and that makes it even harder to get what you need. Half of the time I get frustrated and end up leaving without at least one thing I needed. The other walmart is nicer and a bit less crowded but it is also a little more out of the way. I am thinking we will be trying shopping there from now on though, just to see if it is any better. I have honestly begun to consider giving up on walmart all together..at least while we are on the island.
After shopping we went to McDonalds. That was my son's choice and I was fine with it as this was all about making family memories for him. So far I have been really unimpressed by the fast food restaurants here except the one on post. They are ususally old and run down looking and the service and food are less than impressive. This one was actually newer and the service was great. It looked like they had just finished a rush so it was not as clean as I would have wanted it to be, but they were cleaning it while we were there. My son had fun and that was really all that mattered.
The rest of the day was uneventful. Off to the px for wrapping paper and then home to wrap gifts. My husband dropped me off at the px only to come in a few minutes later with my son. I asked him what he needed and he said "you won't be able to buy anything without my card" he was refering to his Military ID card that you have to show when shopping on post. I have one as well so I was confused. I told him that I had mine and he was like "you have to have mine don't you." I was thinking he had hit his head or something because I've shopped without him before, but I was nice enough and asked him what he thought I was going to do for the year he was gone? After having a duh moment he went back to the car and that was that...where his brain was for those few moments, I may never know.
Well this was sort of long and yes this was one of my rambles. I warn you, I do it fairly often. If you made it to the end, then you are either very bored or just don't mind a ramble.
|
This entry was posted on 11/20/2005 12:47:00 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: